Chocolate Chip Muffins
I have been on a muffin kick lately. I just couldn’t get enough of my Strawberry Muffins, they were gone way too fast. So today, I thought I would take the same recipe I use to make my popular Homemade Blueberry Muffins to make these delicious Chocolate Chip Muffins.
These Chocolate Chip Muffins reminds me of my childhood. Growing up, my mom would make these muffins on Sunday’s after church. My brother and I always made sure we were on our BEST behavior at church so that when we got home we could have one or two of these amazing Chocolate Chip Muffins.
These muffins are definitely a family favorite at our house and I know once you make these Chocolate Chip Muffins for your family, they will be a favorite in your house too. And your kids will love it because it’s like eating chocolate chip cookies for breakfast!
JUST A FEW BAKING TIPS:
✔ I love using buttermilk in this muffin recipe because it makes these muffins super soft and tender, just how everyone loves them. But if you don’t have buttermilk in your fridge, no worries. You can simply make your own homemade buttermilk with only two simple ingredients. All you will need is cow’s milk and lemon juice.
★ To make it super easy for you to make your own buttermilk, here is a step-by-step guide on how to make homemade buttermilk here, it’s super simple!
✔ I like to use an ice cream scooper to fill the muffin batter into each muffin tin. I think it makes it super easy and you know that each muffin will be the same size.
✔ Lastly, don’t let the muffins “cool” in the hot muffin pan, after about 5 minutes take the muffins out of the muffin pan and place them on a wire rack to cool for another 5-10 minutes. Keeping the muffins in the muffin pan too long will lead to dry, overcooked muffins.
STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE ON HOW TO MAKE THESE CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 (1 stick) cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups mini chocolate chips
- additional mini chocolate chips, for topping
- Preheat oven to 425F degrees. Lightly spray 12 muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray or line with muffin liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric or stand mixer combine brown sugar, butter, egg, vanilla extract, and buttermilk, mix until combined.
- Mix flour mixture until just combined. MUFFIN BATTER WILL BE THICK!
- Stir in mini chocolate chips.
- Using an ice cream scooper, scoop muffin batter into prepared muffin tins.Press additional mini chocolate chips onto the tops of each muffin.
- Bake at 425F for 5 minutes. Keeping the muffins in the oven, reduce the oven temperature to 350F and continue to bake for 12-15 more minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let muffins cool for 5-10 minutes before enjoying!
* Store muffins in a covered container at room temperature for 3 days. Muffins can be frozen up to 3 months.