Homemade Strawberry Muffins
Spring into berry season with a batch of freshly baked Strawberry Muffins! These soft, sweet homemade muffins are perfect for providing a little sunshine on a cloudy day. Made with simple and inexpensive ingredients with wonderfully easy to follow steps, you’re going to love making these easy-peasy muffins!
Guys, it’s THAT time of year… It’s strawberry season! Every year, I eagerly await the beginning of springtime when the strawberries are growing fresh, ripe, and juicy on the vine. If you have a local farm that allows public strawberry picking, I highly recommend going! I buy store-bought strawberries all year long, but there’s just something about using those freshly ripened strawberries that amazes me.
Even if you have to use store-bought berries, don’t fret – they’re also amazing this time of year! No matter which route you take, you’re going to end up with the most irresistible homemade muffins. While I usually love these muffins best when they’re still warm from the oven, they’re also mighty good later in the afternoon with a dollop of whipped cream. Either way you choose to enjoy them, you’ll have a hard time eating just one!
It’s hard to pinpoint what exactly is the best part of this recipe. Is it the fact that these muffins are so ridiculously easy to make from scratch? Or, is it the fresh strawberry flavor that just can’t be beat? Maybe it’s the fluffy, soft consistency of the homemade muffins. All of these things set these muffins apart from a lot of other recipes, that’s for sure. And they all make these muffins one of my favorite spring recipes!
Ingredients for Strawberry Muffins
- FLOUR: 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- BAKING SODA: 1 tsp baking soda
- BAKING POWDER: 1 tsp baking powder
- SALT: 1/2 tsp salt
- BROWN SUGAR: 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- BUTTER: 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- EGG: 1 large egg
- VANILLA EXTRACT: 2 tsp vanilla extract
- BUTTERMILK: 1 cup buttermilk
- STRAWBERRIES: 1 1/2 cups fresh chopped strawberries
How to Make Strawberry Muffins
PREPARE. Preheat your oven to 425°F. Spray a muffin tin or line it with muffin liners.
WHISK. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
COMBINE. In a large bowl, combine the brown sugar, butter, egg, vanilla extract, and buttermilk until just combined. It’s easiest to use an electric or stand mixer here.
MIX. Combine the wet and dry mixtures until just combined. Note that the batter will be thick!
ADD BERRIES. Gently fold in the strawberries.
SCOOP. Using an ice cream scooper, scoop the batter into the prepared tins. Use some of the strawberries you have left over to top the muffins.
BAKE. Bake the muffins at 425°F for 5 minutes. Then, reduce the oven temperature to 350°F and continue to bake for about 12-15 more minutes.
ENJOY! Let the muffins cool for at least 5 minutes, then dig in!
Tips and Tricks for the Best Strawberry Muffins
- Make your own buttermilk! I love using buttermilk in my muffin recipes because it makes the muffins super soft and tender. Usually I just buy a small carton of buttermilk, but if you don’t have buttermilk in your fridge, no worries! You can make your own homemade buttermilk with only two simple ingredients. All you’ll need is some milk and lemon juice. I have posted a step-by-step guide on how to make homemade buttermilk here, and it’s super simple!
- Keep in mind that this batter is pretty thick. There’s no need to add any more buttermilk to thin it out.
- To ensure that each muffin is uniform in size and bakes evenly, use an ice cream scooper to scoop the batter into the muffin tins.
This strawberry season, enjoy all of my favorite baked goods! When you get home from the patch, put your berries to good use with recipes like Strawberry Chocolate Chip Muffins, Strawberry Banana Oat Muffins, and Strawberry Lemon Bars.
Homemade Strawberry Muffins
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups brown sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened, 1 stick
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 ½ cups fresh chopped strawberries, plus 1/4 cup to press on top
- Preheat oven to 425F degrees. Lightly spray 12 muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray or line with muffin liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric or stand mixer combine brown sugar, butter, egg, vanilla extract, and buttermilk, mix until combined.
- Mix flour mixture until just combined. MUFFIN BATTER WILL BE THICK!
- Gently, fold in strawberries.
- Using an ice cream scooper, scoop muffin batter into prepared muffin tins. Using the 1/4 cup of the strawberries you have leftover, press a few of them into the tops of each muffin.
- Bake at 425F for 5 minutes. Keeping the muffins in the oven, reduce the oven temperature to 350F and continue to bake for 12-15 more minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let muffins cool for 5-10 minutes before enjoying!
- STORE: In an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days. Muffins can be frozen for up to 3 months.
- DON'T HAVE BUTTERMILK? No problem, you can make homemade buttermilk with just a few simple ingredients. Click here for my step-by-step guide and recipe on how to make homemade buttermilk!
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which we get paid a small commission for recommending my favorite products at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting Deliciously Sprinkled.
Thank you so much for sharing this amazing recipe! Will surely have this again! It’s really easy to make and it tasted so delicious! Highly recommended!
These were so light and delicious and taste like summer!
So moist and delicious! I sprinkled a bit of coarse sugar on the tops, and it added a nice crunch. I’ll be making this often this summer!
OMG strawberry muffins are the BEST.
My daughter is on Spring break this week, so we made muffins with our extra time. These were delicious! We enjoyed them fresh and warm from the oven, YUM!
Such a delicious muffin recipe!! My kids couldn’t stop eating it!