Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
This sweet potato casserole is hands down the BEST recipe for Thanksgiving! It’s made with a pecan topping and is so delicious. Perfect for the holidays!
SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE WITH PECAN TOPPING
What I really love about this recipe is it’s a sweet potato casserole with pecans! The pecan topping is the perfect touch to this delicious, sweet, and savory dish for Thanksgiving. The flavors go together so well and personally is my topping of choice in comparison to marshmallow topping. It is the perfect combination of flavors and it doesn’t get much better than this!
But of course, you can also make this sweet potato casserole with marshmallows by sprinkling some on top at the end of baking. So don’t be afraid to whip up this recipe because we opt for pecan topping!
EASY SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
What’s even better than the delicious topping on this sweet potato casserole is the fact it is such an easy sweet potato casserole to make!! It’s a canned sweet potato casserole so you don’t have to do much prep beforehand. You simply mix the ingredients and bake! You can easily make this ahead of time too – which just adds to why I love this sweet potato casserole with canned yams. It tends to calm down on the craziness surrounding the holidays.
Oh, and did I mention how much of a crowd-pleasing Thanksgiving recipe this is?! So good that I guarantee there won’t be anything left by the end of the evening.
Let’s get to the sweet potato casserole recipe now, shall we?
SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE INGREDIENTS
- YAMS: We use canned yams for this recipe as it yields the best results!
- MILK: I just love how creamy this makes the texture of the casserole.
- BUTTER: For best results, make sure you bring your butter to room temperature.
- VANILLA: The vanilla really adds a nice sweet taste to the yams.
- EGGS: Beat them well before you begin baking this recipe.
- SALT: A little bit of salt balances out the flavors of this dish.
- PECANS: Pecan topping is our absolute favorite, but you can also use marshmallows!
- BROWN SUGAR: Brown sugar in the topping is an absolute MUST for the perfect sweet flavor.
- FLOUR: The flour acts as a thickening agent in the topping and turns it into a delicious crumble.
HOW TO MAKE SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE
- PREPARE: Preheat the oven and spray a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- MIX INGREDIENTS: Mix the yams, milk, butter, eggs, and salt until well combined and pour into a baking dish.
- MAKE TOPPING: In another bowl, mix the pecans, brown sugar, flour, and butter together. Sprinkle on top of the sweet potato mixture.
- BAKE AND SERVE: Bake in the oven for 25 minutes and serve.
CAN I MAKE SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE AHEAD OF TIME?
Yes! What’s great about this recipe is you can mix it up and put in the refrigerator overnight so it’s ready to bake first thing the next day. You can also freeze it, but you’ll need to wrap it really well to maintain the right consistency.
CAN I ADD MARSHMALLOWS TO THIS RECIPE?
Sure thing! You can even omit the pecans if you’d prefer the marshmallow topping. Add some mini marshmallows over the top near the end of cooking. Make sure not to add them too early or they will burn.
ARE CANNED YAMS BETTER THAN USING FRESH YAMS?
I think so! Fresh yams are a bit too heavy on this recipe, in my opinion. I definitely prefer canned yams for the overall finished result as well as how easy they make this casserole dish!
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO REHEAT SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE?
You can either pop it back in the oven for about 10 minutes or microwave individual slices for about 30 seconds – 1 minute.
Be sure to check out these other Thanksgiving recipes!
If you have tried this Sweet Potato Casserole recipe, then please rate it in the recipe card and let me know how it turned out in the comments below!
- 80 ounces canned cut yams, drained
- ¼ cup milk
- ⅓ cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375F and spray a 9x9 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix the yams, milk, butter, eggs, and salt until well combined; pour into baking dish.
- In another small bowl, mix the pecans, brown sugar, flour, and butter together. Sprinkle on top of the sweet potato mixture.
- Bake uncovered for 25 minutes and serve. Enjoy!
- What’s great about this recipe is you can mix it up and put in the refrigerator overnight so it’s ready to bake first thing the next day. You can also freeze it, but you’ll need to wrap it really well to maintain the right consistency.
This blog post contains affiliate and/or referral links, which pay me a small commission for recommending my favorite products at no extra cost to you! Additionally, as an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.