Carrot Cake Cupcakes
Quick and easy homemade carrot cake cupcakes topped with fluffy cream cheese frosting!
Spring has sprung! Though it may not feel like spring in the midwest quite yet, Easter is just around the corner.
Growing up, Easter was always one of my favorite holidays because it packed so many things I loved into one day… baking, brunch, pastels, fun Easter egg-dying, warm weather (hopefully), family time, and of course, all the Easter bunny’s treats.
Well, it turns out that things don’t change all that much as you grow up.
I still love Easter for all of the same reasons and this year, I’m excited to share my amazing carrot cake cupcake recipe that will be a perfect dessert for your Easter brunch.
These perfectly moist and fabulously flavorful cupcakes are packed with freshly grated carrot and sweet pineapple.
Topped with fluffy, vanilla cream cheese frosting with a SPRINKLE of chopped walnuts and a cute carrot decoration, making these cupcakes a family favorite, especially for Easter.
JUST A FEW BAKING TIPS:
✓ OVERMIXING: Don’t OVERMIX the batter. This will cause the cupcakes to be rather chewy instead of perfectly moist. You just want to mix until JUST combined, meaning that you should still seem some flour in the bowl.
✓ OVEN TEMPERATURE: It’s so important to bake these cupcakes at the proper temperature. Preheat your oven to the correct temperature BEFORE you put your cupcakes in the oven. If you don’t have an oven thermometer, I would HIGHLY recommend getting one, it will help you make sure your oven is set to the right temperature.
✓ CREAM CHEESE FROSTING: For the cream cheese frosting, I recommend using heavy whipping cream because it gives the frosting that thick, creamy, texture that everyone loves on top of a cupcake. And don’t forget the chopped walnuts, because it’s not a carrot cake cupcakes without them!
CARROT CAKE CUPCAKES:
- 4 large eggs
- ¾ cup canola oil
- ½ cup applesauce
- 1 cup golden brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups powered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line (2) 12 count muffin pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- Using an electric or stand mixer, mix the eggs, canola oil, applesauce, brown sugar, and sugar until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon until combined.
- Slowly mix in dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until no clumps remain.
- Stir in vanilla, carrots, pineapple and chopped walnuts.
- Pour batter into the cupcake liners (about ¾ the way full). Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Allow to cool before frosting.
MAKE THE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- Beat softened butter on medium speed with an electric or stand mixer. Beat for 3 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Add cream cheese, powdered sugar, heavy cream, salt and vanilla extract, increase to high speed and beat for 3 minutes.
- Frost cooled cupcakes and top with chopped walnuts.
- Store cupcakes in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days and in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.