Easy Macaroni Salad
Macaroni Salad is an easy to make dish that’s perfect for potlucks, parties, picnics, and everything in between! Made with inexpensive ingredients in a matter of minutes, this classic Macaroni Salad recipe is sure to be your favorite summertime staple.
I love when worlds collide. Usually, when you hear the word “macaroni,” it’s not associated with “salad.” Even then, you may think that this is one of those recipe that very loosely uses the word “salad,” but that’s where you’d be wrong! While this hearty salad does contain ingredients like macaroni noodles and colby jack cheese sticks, it’s also got plenty of nutritious veggies to keep things nice and fresh!
While the ingredients for the actual salad are both delicious and nutritious, it’s the dressing that really sends this potluck favorite straight over the top. Made with ingredients you likely already have, like mayo, apple cider vinegar, blue cheese crumbles, and more, this dressing is anything but bland. Plus, it’s homemade, which means it’s got that certain flare that the store-bought stuff just can’t beat.
This summer, I plan on spending as much time as I can in the sun… Which means plenty of picnics! Even if it’s just in my own backyard with the little ones, I want to enjoy the sunshine with recipes like this one. It’s filling, flavor packed, and light enough to enjoy on even the hottest of summer days. Plus, it’s incredibly kid-friendly, and a great way to sneak some awesome veggies into their bellies!
While this is one of my favorite dishes to make for social gatherings, it also makes for an incredible lunch! Enjoy Macaroni Salad in the middle of the day for a light lunch that’ll actually hold you over until dinnertime.
Ingredients for Macaroni Salad
For the salad, you’ll need:
- RING NOODLES: 1 package ring noodles
- COLESLAW MIX: 1 package coleslaw mix
- ONIONS: 2 medium onions, chopped
- CELERY RIBS: 2 celery ribs, chopped
- CUCUMBER: 1 cucumber, chopped
- GREEN PEPPER: 1 green pepper, chopped
- BLUE CHEESE CRUMBLES: 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
- COLBY JACK CHEESE STICKS: 4 colby jack cheese sticks, cut into cubes
For the dressing, you’ll need:
- MAYO: 1 1/2 cups mayo
- SUGAR: 1/3 cup sugar
- BLUE CHEESE CRUMBLES: 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- APPLE CIDER VINEGAR: 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- SALT: 1/2 tsp salt
- PEPPER: 1/4 tsp pepper
How to Make Macaroni Salad
Start off by preparing the salad.
COOK THE NOODLES. Cook the macaroni according to package instructions. Drain and rinse in cold water.
MIX. In a large bowl, combine the noodles, coleslaw mix, onions, celery, cucumber, green peppers, and blue cheese crumbles.
Time for the dressing!
WHISK. In a small bowl, mix together the mayo, sugar, blue cheese crumbles, apple cider vinegar, salt, and pepper.
MIX. Pour the dressing over the salad and mix it all together. Top with colby jack cheese.
CHILL. Cover the bowl and place it in the fridge. Allow it to chill for at least an hour prior to serving.
Tips for the Best Macaroni Salad
- Let it chill for at least one hour prior to serving! This gives the dressing time to settle, and it also lets the salad reach that perfectly cool temperature that’s ideal for serving.
- Play around with the flavors to best suit your needs. Feel free to add and subtract ingredients as you see fit. For example, sometimes I like to throw a little crispy bacon into the mix!
- Use fresh veggies! Always double check that your veggies are as ripe as they can be.
- 1 package ring noodles
- 1 package coleslaw mix
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 4 colby jack cheese sticks, cut into cubes
- 1 1/2 cups mayo
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
STEP 1: Cook ring noodles according to package directions. Drain and rinse in cold water.
STEP 2: In a large bowl, add noodles, coleslaw mix, onions, celery, cucumber, green peppers and blue cheese crumbles.
STEP 3: Mix all the ingredients together.
STEP 4: In a small bowl, whisk together mayo, sugar, blue cheese crumbles, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper.
STEP 5: Pour dressing over salad and mix until everything is coated. Add colby jack cheese.
STEP 6: Cover and place in refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving.
*STORE: Place leftover macaroni salad in an airtight container and store in refrigerator up to 4 days.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 232Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 322mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 6gProtein: 4g