Mexican Lasagna Recipe
Layers of boldly seasoned ground beef, beans, cheese, and tortillas are baked to perfection in this incredibly easy to make Mexican Lasagna Recipe! Shake up your usual weeknight dinner routine with this exciting taco-inspired baked meal. It’s easy, delicious, and kid friendly!
I know it may sound like Taco Bell’s latest creation, but fear not – this Mexican lasagna is a homemade masterpiece that your whole family is seriously going to love! This easy dinner combines pretty much everything you love about tacos into one delicious baked meal.
It’s cheesy, beefy, and flavorful as can be! Plus, tortillas are what separate each layer in place of traditional lasagna noodles, which make this dish even more crave-worthy. If you’re looking for an easy to make dinner idea that your kids will actually eat, this is the recipe for you!
I’d be lying if I said that kids are the only die-hard lovers of Mexican lasagna. Whether I serve it at home or bring it to potlucks, all of my adult friends can’t seem to get enough of it either! After all, who doesn’t love everything tasty about a taco all baked into one delicious layered meal?!
Ingredients for Mexican Lasagna
- GROUND BEEF: 2 lbs ground beef
- SALSA: 1 jar chunky salsa
- TACO SEASONING: 1 package taco seasoning
- TORTILLAS: 6 flour tortillas (6 inch)
- PINTO BEANS: 1 can pinto beans, rinsed
- CHEESE: 2 cups shredded Mexican 4 cheese blend
How to Make Mexican Lasagna
PREPARE. Preheat your oven to 400°F and spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray.
BROWN THE BEEF. In a large skillet, brown the ground beef. Drain. Pour cooked ground beef back into the skillet and stir in salsa and taco seasoning. Simmer on low for 10 minutes.
MAKE THE FIRST LAYER. Spread about ½ cup of ground beef on the bottom of the baking dish. Cover with 2 tortillas.
KEEP LAYERING. Add another layer of ground beef, half of the beans, ½ cup cheese. Cover with 2 tortillas. Repeat layers.
TOP IT OFF. Top with cheese and cover with foil.
BAKE. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
ENJOY! Top your Mexican lasagna with sour cream, guacamole, tomatoes, salsa, onions and tortilla chips or Fritos. Slice, serve, and enjoy!
Variations to Try
- If you’d like to make your own taco seasoning, just combine a teaspoon of chili powder with a teaspoon of salt and freshly ground black pepper. Then, toss in about 1/2 teaspoon of the following – crushed red pepper flakes, garlic powder, onion powder, dried oregano, and paprika.
- For added heat, serve this Mexican lasagna with your favorite hot sauce on the top.
- Instead of ground beef, you can use ground pork, turkey, or chicken. You can even use a ground plant based protein to make this meal vegetarian friendly!
Tips for the Best Mexican Lasagna
- To avoid burned tongues, let the Mexican lasagna sit for about 5 minutes at room temperature before you dig in.
- To make this dish ahead of time, assemble it and keep it in an airtight container in the fridge up to a day before you plan on baking it.
- Don’t skimp on any of the ingredients, but especially the cheese! Gooey, melted cheese is what makes this dinner so irresistible.
- This Mexican lasagna is best enjoyed when it’s been just baked, but your leftovers will hold up well if stored properly! Keep any leftovers you may have in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 jar chunky salsa
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 6 flour tortillas (6 inch)
- 1 can pinto beans, rinsed
- 2 cups shredded Mexican 4 Cheese Blend (not the cheese with the taco seasoning)
- Sour cream
- Tortilla chips
- Diced tomatoes
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9X13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In a large skillet, brown the ground beef. Drain. Pour cooked ground beef back into the skillet and stir in salsa and taco seasoning. Simmer on low for 10 minutes.
3. Spread about ½ cup of ground beef on the bottom of the baking dish. Cover with 2 tortillas.
4. Add another layer of ground beef, half of the beans, ½ cup cheese. Cover with 2 tortillas. Repeat layers.
5. Top with cheese and cover with foil.
6. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
7. Top with sour cream, guacamole, tomatoes, salsa, onions and tortilla chips or fritos.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 922Total Fat: 53gSaturated Fat: 24gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 22gCholesterol: 207mgSodium: 993mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 6gSugar: 3gProtein: 67g
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which we get paid a small commission for recommending my favorite products at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting Deliciously Sprinkled.