Slow Cooker Cheesy Potato Soup
This Slow Cooker Cheesy Potato Soup is so easy to make and a great comfort food dish. Topped with bacon and cheese, this slow cooker soup is perfect for cold days!
SLOW COOKER CHEESY POTATO SOUP
I LOVE soup! In our household, soup isn’t just something to warm us up during the winter months. We eat soup all year round! This Cheesy Potato Soup is full of potatoes, cheese, and bacon, but it’s not watery like other potato soup recipes I’ve tried.
Just dump everything in the slow cooker and have it cook during the day makes this recipe so easy! Plus, it helps make sure that the soup has a ton of flavor when you’re ready to enjoy it!
CHEESY POTATO SOUP MADE IN THE SLOW COOKER
One of the best parts of this recipe is that you can just throw everything into the slow cooker and then let it cook for the rest of the day! Letting your ingredients mix together and cook in the slow cooker gives your potato soup a rich, delicious flavor, but you don’t have to spend hours babysitting it on the stove!
This delicious Cheesy Potato Soup makes a great soup recipe to feed a crowd or when you want something tasty and comforting to warm you up on a cold winter day. Since you can easily freeze the leftovers, this is a great recipe to make a big batch!
CHEESY POTATO SOUP INGREDIENTS
● FROZEN HASH BROWNS: 2 (32 oz.) packages of diced frozen hash browns.
● CHICKEN BROTH: 3 (14.5 oz.) cans of low sodium chicken broth.
● CREAM OF CHICKEN SOUP: 1 (10 oz.) can of cream of chicken soup.
● DICED HAM: 2 cups of diced ham.
● CORN: 1 (16 oz.) package of frozen corn. You can also use canned corn or fresh corn.
● ONION: 1 medium onion.
● GARLIC SALT: 2 teaspoons of garlic salt.
● PEPPER: 1 teaspoon of pepper.
● HEAVY CREAM: 1 cup of heavy cream.
● CREAM CHEESE: 1 (8 oz.) package of cream cheese.
● CHEDDAR CHEESE BLOCK: 1 cheddar cheese block. You will need 2 cups of FRESHLY GRATED cheddar cheese.
● BACON: I like to sprinkle some cooked bacon pieces on top of the soup.
● GREEN ONIONS: Add a couple of green onions as a topping too.
HOW TO MAKE CHEESY POTATO SOUP IN THE SLOW COOKER
To make this Slow Cooker Cheesy Potato Soup, simply:
STEP 1: In the slow cooker, combine frozen hash browns, chicken broth, chicken soup, ham, corn, onion, garlic salt, and pepper.
STEP 2: Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 6-8 hour.
STEP 3: Add heavy cream and cream cheese, stirring until well blended.
STEP 4: Add shredded cheese, heat until cheese melts.
STEP 5: Serve and top with bacon pieces, green onions, and shredded cheddar cheese.
SOUP MAKING TIPS
FROZEN DICED HASH BROWNS: OK…so you know I’m ALWAYS looking for ways to make recipes as EASY as possible. Well, when I first tried this recipe I used Yukon potatoes, boiled them first and then put them in the slow cooker. I was like…wow, that was a lot of work and when I’m making a slow cooker recipe, I want to be able to dump all the ingredients in the slow cooker and turn it on. So I decided to try uses frozen diced hash browns instead and the soup turned out just as delicious without all the work!
TOPPINGS: I like to top this cheesy potato soup with bacon bits, cheddar cheese, and green onions.
FREEZE IT: We always have leftovers because it’s just my husband and I right now, so I just place the leftovers in a freezer bag and it stays good in the freezer up to 3 months.
How do you freeze this potato soup recipe?
Freezing this potato soup recipe is so simple! It makes a whole lot of soup, so, likely, you won’t be able to finish all the leftovers. To freeze this soup, place the leftovers in a freezer-safe bag, and you can keep it in the freezer for up to three months!
What kind of bacon should I use for topping?
When it comes to the bacon that will top this soup, there are so many different options! You can fry your own bacon, pop it into the microwave, or buy the pre-cooked stuff. If you will be cooking your own bacon, dice it before cooking it to make it easier!
What goes well with Cheesy Potato Soup?
When it comes to the soup, you can top it with bacon, cheese, green onions, and even sour cream! You could also add croutons or whatever you’d like to the top of your soup. It’s good even if you don’t add all those extras, though! This soup would also pair well with a salad or slice of fresh bread.
How long will this soup last in the refrigerator?
As I mentioned, this soup recipe will yield A LOT of servings! We love to heat up the leftovers for a quick lunch or dinner, but at some point, you may have to freeze it to avoid food waste. To store your soup in the fridge, refrigerate your soup by putting it into shallow containers. This will help it cool faster, and then cover it tightly. It will last up to three days in the fridge.
- 2 packages diced frozen hash browns, 32 ounces each
- 3 cans chicken broth, 14.5 ounces each
- 1 can cream of chicken soup, 10.75 ounces
- 2 cups diced ham
- 16 ounces frozen corn
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- bacon pieces, green onion and cheese, for topping
- In the slow cooker, combine frozen hash browns, chicken broth, chicken soup, ham, corn, onion, garlic salt, and pepper.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 6-8 hour.
- Add heavy cream and cream cheese, stirring until well blended.
- Add shredded cheese, heat until cheese melts.
- Serve and top with bacon pieces, green onions and shredded cheddar cheese.
- FROZEN DICED HASH BROWNS: OK…so you know I’m ALWAYS looking for ways to make recipes as EASY as possible. Well, when I first tried this recipe I used Yukon potatoes, boiled them first and then put them in the slow cooker. I was like…wow, that was a lot of work and when I’m making a slow cooker recipe, I want to be able to dump all the ingredients in the slow cooker and turn it on. So I decided to try uses frozen diced hash browns instead and the soup turned out just as delicious without all the work!
MORE EASY CROCKPOT RECIPES:
- Slow Cooker Ranch Chicken
- CrockPot Cheesy Ranch Potatoes
- Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Slow Cooker Queso Dip
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which we get paid a small commission for recommending my favorite products at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting Deliciously Sprinkled.