Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies
The way to the heart is through the stomach they always say. These Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies are the perfect way to the heart this V-day.
Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies
Whether it’s V-day or any day, making these delicious treats for someone shows them just how much you love them.
The great thing about these is that you can make them for a loved one, take them into the office for your coworkers, or send them to school with the kiddos for Valentine’s party treat. Or, you could always just make them for yourself and eat them before anyone gets home.
With Valentine’s Day right around the corner, it’s time to start thinking of ways to show your significant other how much you love him or her.
These Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies are definitely the way to anyone’s heart.
Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies Ingredients
You will need few ingredients for this recipe since you are making these homemade. Here’s what you need:
- All-purpose flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda: You need this for your dough.
- Sugar, vanilla extract, and light brown sugar: Add these ingredients for a delicious flavor.
- Eggs: Only add one at a time as you mix.
- Butter: The butter creams your ingredients together. TIP: Bring your butter to room temperature.
- Salt: This is for taste.
- Chocolate chips: You can’t make chocolate chip cookies without chocolate chips.
- Red food coloring: Make these perfect for V-day with red food coloring.
- Cream cheese frosting and sprinkles: Decorate your cookies with frosting and sprinkles.
How to Make Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies
Scroll down for a step by step printable recipe card!
Prepare: Before beginning the recipe, preheat your oven to 370F degrees. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
Mix Ingredients: Whisk together the flour, baking soda, cocoa powder, and salt. Using an electric mixer, cream together the butter, sugar, light brown sugar, and vanilla extract. Then, add eggs one at a time to the creamed mixture. Finally, add the flour mixture and mix until you have a dough.
Add Chocolate Chips and Food Coloring: Add the red food coloring and mix it into the dough until it turns red. Then, add in the chocolate chips.
Bake and Cool: Scoop 2-tablespoon balls of cookie dough onto your baking sheet. Bake for 10-minutes then rotate the sheet clockwise and bake for an additional 4-5 minutes. Place additional chocolate chips on top immediately after baking. Let cool!
Frost and Serve: Microwave frosting for 10 to 20 seconds. Dip half of each cookie into the melted frosting. Then, top the frosting with sprinkles. Enjoy.
Note: Be careful not to overmix the dough. Mix it until it’s just combined with a little flour left in the bottom of your bowl.
How to Store Cookies
If you plan on making these cookies in advance, it is important to store them properly. Cookies can keep for a week if you use proper storing methods. Here are some tips:
- Store soft and crisp cookies separately at room temperature.
- Keep soft cookies in airtight containers.
- To help soft cookies retain moisture, you can add a slice of bread or piece of apple to the container.
- Store these cookies in single layers between wax paper.
Can You Freeze Cookies
Freezing cookies can make them last longer. As a rule of thumb, crisp cookies will freeze better than soft or moist cookies. You can freeze baked goods in airtight containers or freezer bags for up to 3-months.
Keep in mind that chocolate-dipped cookies may discolor if frozen. When you thaw cookies, you will want to leave them out at room temperature.
Valentine’s Day Packaging Ideas
If you are preparing these treats for someone special, here are some packaging ideas that put the icing on the cake:
- You can use these Yusang Kraft boxes. They have a cute little see-through heart.
- Heart-Shaped Treat boxes add a real love feel. Plus, they look super cute.
- If you want to make individual treat bags for a classroom party or to give away at the office, these Valentine’s Party Plastic bags are perfect.
- Want something that can also be a keepsake? This Crystal Glass box with a bowknot lid is classy and useful for more than just Valentine’s Day.
- If you want to add your own creativity to your box, this Paper Mache Heart-Shaped box allows you to decorate however you would like.
- Of course, you could always go sweet and simple with a plain 25 Count Cookie Box with a window.
Other Great Recipes for V-Day
Not sure if these Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies are the perfect way to your loved one’s heart? Check out some of our other heartwarming desserts:
If you have tried this Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe, then please rate it in the recipe card and let me know how it turned out in the comments below!
Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 12 Tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons red food coloring
- 1 ½ cups milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup canned cream cheese frosting
- Preheat oven to 370F degrees. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, cocoa powder and salt in a medium size bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric or stand mixer, cream together the butter, granulated sugar, light brown sugar, and vanilla extract until combined.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing between each egg.
- Add flour mixture and mix until just combined. You should still see some flour.
- Add red food coloring and mix until dough turns red. Using a spatula, stir in chocolate chips until combined.
- Using a cookie scoop/ice cream scooper, scoop dough into balls about 2 Tablespoons each and place onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes, rotate baking sheet clockwise and bake for additional 4-5 minutes or until golden brown around the edges.
- Immediately after taking cookies out of the oven, place additional chocolate chips on top of cookies and top. Let cool for 5 minutes on baking sheet before moving them to a wire rack. Cool completely before frosting.
- In a small bowl microwave frosting for 10 to 20 seconds or just until melted; stir.
- Dip half of each cookie into melted frosting. Top with sprinkles.
- STORE: Cookies will stay fresh for up to 7 days in an airtight container, stored at room temperature.
- FREEZING: Roll the dough into balls and place them in an airtight container. You can freeze the cookie dough for up to 2 months. To bake, place frozen cookie dough balls onto prepared baking sheet and bake for 16-18 minutes.
This blog post contains affiliate and/or referral links, which pay me a small commission for recommending my favorite products at no extra cost to you! Additionally, as an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Loved these cookies!! This recipe was super easy to follow and the result was amazing, everyone at home is already asking me to make them again!
When it comes to baking, it’s so hard to choose a favorite anything! Homemade ginger snaps are always great though.
I love warm peanut butter cookies!!!
Thanks for the Giveaway! Gives me an excuse to blab!!!! Love your recipe today and have baked the chocolate chip sprinkle cookies. YUMMY! HAVE A KAZILLION cookie recipes, but my fave? Cookies made FOR me! Having 4 grown daughters, one would think this has occurred. Nope, never. Mine are so good, and love baking, so.. My own darn fault!! Thanks again.
Any type of sprinkle cookies are my favorite! I would love to try this recipe, it looks amazing! I will make them for Christmas<3