Cut-Out Sugar Cookies
Happy Valentine’s Week! ♥
To celebrate this fun holiday, I made my FAVORITE cut-out sugar cookies.
I’m pretty sure my mom taught me how to make these cut-out sugar cookies at age 3.
And for as long as I can remember, I have been making these cookies every year, especially during the Christmas season.
But these cookies are just too good to only be made during the traditional holiday season.
So I thought what better way to celebrate my LOVE for all of YOU then sharing these heart-shaped, soft cut-out sugar cookies!
CUT-OUT SUGAR COOKIES INGREDIENTS
CUT-OUT COOKIES INGREDIENTS:
● POWDERED SUGAR: 1 cup of powdered sugar. This is our family’s secret ingredient to the best tasting cut-out cookie.
● SUGAR: 1/2 cup of granulated sugar.
● EGG: 1 large egg.
● VANILLA EXTRACT: 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
● ALMOND EXTRACT: 1/2 teaspoon of almond extract.
● BUTTER: 1 cup ( 2 sticks) of unsalted butter. Make sure your butter is at room temperature. If your butter is TOO WARM, it will also result in cookies that will SPREAD and won’t hold their shape. So the best thing to do is let the butter sit out on the counter for at least 1 hour before you start baking and it will be perfect!
● SELF RISING FLOUR: 2 1/2 cups of self-rising flour. This is another secret ingredient, that makes these cookies the best.
VANILLA ICING INGREDIENTS:
● POWDERED SUGAR: 2 cups of powdered sugar.
● MILK: 4 teaspoons of milk.
● CORN SYRUP: 4 teaspoons of light corn syrup.
● VANILLA EXTRACT: 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
● ALMOND EXTRACT: 1 teaspoon of almond extract.
● SPRINKLES: your favorite sprinkles for decorating.
HOW TO MAKE CUT-OUT COOKIES
To make these Cut-Out Sugar Cookies, simply:
MAKE THE COOKIE DOUGH:
STEP 1: Using an electric or stand mixer fitted with a paddle, beat sugar, stevia, egg, vanilla extract, almond extract and butter on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
STEP 2: Add flour and mix until just combined.
STEP 3: Divide dough into 4 pieces, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
MAKE, BAKE, & DECORATE:
PRE-STEP: Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
STEP 1: Roll out dough to about 1/8 inch thick.
STEP 2: Using cookie cutters, cut dough into shapes.
STEP 3: Place cookie shapes onto prepared baking pan. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Let cookies cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes, then transfer to wire rack. Let cookies cool completely before icing and decorating.
STEP 4: In a medium-sized bowl, stir together powdered sugar and milk until smooth. Mix in corn syrup, vanilla extract, and almond extract and stir until smooth and glossy.
STEP 5: Once cookies are cooled, frost cookies and sprinkle with colored sprinkles.
ADDITIONAL BAKING TIPS
COLD COOKIE DOUGH: It’s important to make sure to place the cookie dough in the fridge for at least 1 hour before you start rolling out the dough. I actually like to make the dough the day before and keep it in the fridge overnight but if you’re short on time, 1 hour in the fridge will be totally fine.
COOKIE CUTTERS: Here is a tip I learned to make it easy to use cookie cutters. I spray my cookie cutters with butter flavored non-stick cooking spray, this way the dough doesn’t stick to the cookie cutter and the shapes come out perfect every time.
ROLLING THE COOKIE DOUGH: To make sure all your cookies are the same thickness, I like to use an adjustable rolling pin or these super cool rolling pin rings. I also used this super cute Heart Shaped Cookie Cutter to make these Cut-Out Sugar Cookies but you can use any shape cookie cutter you would like depending on the holiday or occasion.
BAKING TOOLS NEEDED
MIXER: I love my KitchenAid Mixer, I use it for everything. Makes baking so much easier!
BAKING SHEET: You will need a large 16×11 inch baking sheet.
COOKIE CUTTERS: These are my favorite cookie cutters and you get a TON of different shapes.
ICING SPATULA: Makes frosting cookies SO MUCH easier!
MORE COOKIE RECIPES
CONNECT WITH DELICIOUSLY SPRINKLED
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA, SO YOU NEVER MISS A RECIPE
GET EASY-TO-MAKE RECIPES AND MORE…STRAIGHT TO YOUR EMAIL!
RATE THIS RECIPE
IF YOU MADE THIS RECIPE & LOVED IT!
PLEASE GIVE IT A 5 STAR RATING IN THE RECIPE BELOW!
- Using an electric or stand mixer fitted with paddle, beat powdered sugar, granulated sugar, egg,vanilla extract, almond extract and butter on medium-high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add flour and mix until just combined.
- Divide dough into 4 pieces, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, shortening, heavy whipping cream and vanilla extract until smooth. Set aside.
- Roll out dough to about 1/8 inch thick.
- Using a cookie cutters, cut dough into shapes.
- Place cookie shapes onto prepared baking pan. Bake for 8-10 minutes. Let cookies cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes, then transfer to wire rack. Let cookies cool completely before icing and decorating.
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir together powdered sugar and milk until smooth. Mix in corn syrup, vanilla extract, and almond extract and stir until smooth and glossy.
- Once cookies are cooled, frost cookies and sprinkle with colored sprinkles.
- STORE cookies in an container at room temperature for up to 7 days.
- UNFROSTED Cut-Out Cookies can be frozen for up to 2 months. When your ready to bake the frozen cookies, you will not need to thaw them, just place the cut-out cookies onto baking sheet and bake for 9-10 minutes.
SHARE IT ON INSTAGRAM
WE LOVE SEEING WHAT YOU MAKE.
SHARE IT ON INSTAGRAM AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTO!
USE HASHTAG #DELICIOUSLYSPRINKLED
CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER!
FOLLOW US ON PINTEREST!
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which we get paid a small commission for recommending my favorite products at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting Deliciously Sprinkled.