ORANGE CREAMSICLE CAKE
This orange creamsicle cake is an absolute dream of a recipe! The orange cream flavor is so creamy paired with the perfect moist cake. You will be guaranteed to be running back for more.
ORANGE CAKE RECIPE
This orange cake recipe is a super moist recipe for orange cake topped with orange buttercream frosting making this refreshing dessert an absolute dream!!!
The best thing about this recipe? It’s an orange cake from mix so it’s sooooo easy to bake! I usually don’t make cakes too often becaue I’m always nervous they won’t come out good… but man was this easy to make all while tasting absolutely delicious!
It’s as easy as mixing the ingredients, pouring in your pan, and baking! The frosting is easy too as you just throw it in the mixer and bam! You have a beautiful delicious treat. (Okay, you caught me – it’s a bit more complicated than that ha!)
If you’re a fan of orange creamsicles but instantly shiver… you will love this orange cake! It takes just like the popsicle in cake form. So good, so easy, and the perfect dessert no matter what time of year it is.
Now, let’s get to the orange creamsicle cake recipe, shall we?
What I really love about this recipe for orange cake is how easy it is to make! This cake starts out by using an orange cake mix (I used Duncan Hines Signature Orange Supreme Cake Mix) and just like my Chocolate Marble Cupcakes I jazzed up the cake mix by adding 1 box of INSTANT Vanilla pudding, vegetable oil, milk, sour cream and eggs. I used two 9-inch round cake pans to make this cake.
For the oh so delicious buttercream frosting, I made my favorite vanilla buttercream frosting using butter, powdered sugar, whipping cream and clear vanilla extract . I then stirred in 3 Tablespoons of sweet orange marmalade jelly to give the frosting a hint of orange flavor and the little pieces of orange marmalade mixed throughout the frosting gives it a little texture.
ORANGE CREAMSICLE CAKE INGREDIENTS
For this delicious orange cake recipe, you’ll need these ingredients.
- ORANGE CAKE MIX: I used Duncan Hines orange supreme cake mix – it makes this recipe truly easy!
- VANILLA PUDDING MIX: Vanilla pudding mix adds a delicious taste to the orange creamsicle cake.
- VEGETABLE OIL: Of course a good cake recipe needs a bit of oil, right?
- MILK: I find whole milk creates the perfect delicious creamy taste!
- SOUR CREAM: The added fat in sour cream really adds the creamy texture to this orange cake recipe.
- EGGS: Make sure to bring your eggs to room temperature first!
- BUTTER: For best results, soften the butter to room temperature.
- POWDERED SUGAR: Of course frosting needs some powdered sugar, right?
- SALT: Salt brings the vanilla flavor to surface and balances out the sweetness!
- VANILLA EXTRACT: Vanilla is the secret ingredient to a delicious frosting.
- HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM: The thickness of this heavy cream is a MUST for this recipe!
- ORANGE MARMALADE: The taste of the jelly is what makes this truly a dream!!!
HOW TO MAKE ORANGE CREAMSICLE CAKE
Be sure to scroll down below for the printable recipe card!
- PREPARE: Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray (2) 9×2 inch cake pans[ with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- MIX BATTER: Use an electric or stand mixer, mix the cake mix, vanilla instant pudding mix, vegetable oil, milk, sour cream and eggs until combined.
- BAKE CAKE: Pour cake batter evenly into 2 prepared cake pans. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Allow to cool before frosting.
- MAKE FROSTING: Mix the softened butter on medium speed with an electric or stand mixer. Beat for about 3 minutes until smooth and creamy. Add powdered sugar, whipping cream, vanilla extract, and salt. Increase to high-speed and beat for 3 minutes. Using a spoon, stir in 3 Tablespoons of sweet orange marmalade until evenly distributed throughout the frosting.
- FROST CAKE AND SERVE: Place 1 layer on your cake stand. Evenly cover the top with buttercream frosting. Top with 2nd layer and top with frosting and spread the frosting around the sides evenly. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
CAN I USE SALTED BUTTER FOR THIS RECIPE?
I do not recommend it, no. There is an unknown amount of salt and it could potentially alter the taste of your delicious orange creamsicle cake (and we do not want that!).
WHAT I THE BET MILK TO USE FOR THIS RECIPE?
Personally, I prefer whole milk for cake recipes. It’s the perfect consistency with the perfect amount of fats to create a real creamy and moist cake!
WHAT HAPPENS IF I OVER MIX THE BATTER?
It is very important that you do not OVERMIX the batter. This will cause the cake to be rather chewy instead of perfectly moist. You just want to mix until JUST combined, meaning that you should still seem some flour in the bowl.
WHAT KITCHEN TOOLS WILL I NEED FOR THIS RECIPE?
You’ll need these easy baking tools for this orange cake recipe:
ELECTRIC MIXER: I love my KitchenAid Mixer, I use it for everything. Makes baking so much easier!
MIXING BOWLS: I love these mixing bowls, they’re so durable and the colors are so fun!
9-INCH CAKE PANS: These are the round cake pans I used to make this cake.
HOW LONG WILL THIS ORANGE CAKE RECIPE LAST?
This cake can be stored in the fridge, covered, for up to 3 day. It can also be frozen for up to 2 months.
Check out these other delicious cake recipes!
- Cinnamon Sugar Cake
- Cherry Almond Cake
- Vanilla Cake with Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- Homemade Carrot Cake
If you have tried this Orange Creamsicle Cake recipe, then please rate it in the recipe card and let me know how it turned out in the comments below!
- 1 box orange cake mix (I used Duncan Hines Orange Supreme Cake Mix)
- 1 box (3.4oz) Vanilla INSTANT pudding mix, dry
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 large eggs
ORANGE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 4 cups powered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons heavy whipping cream or milk
- 3 Tablespoons sweet orange marmalade
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray (2) 9x2 inch cake pans[ with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- Use a electric or stand mixer, mix the cake mix, vanilla instant pudding mix, vegetable oil, milk, sour cream and eggs until combined.
- Pour cake batter evenly into 2 prepared cake pans. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Allow to cool before frosting.
- Mix the softened butter on medium speed with an electric or stand mixer. Beat for about 3 minutes until smooth and creamy. Add powdered sugar, whipping cream, vanilla extract, and salt. Increase to high-speed and beat for 3 minutes. Using a spoon, stir in 3 Tablespoons of sweet orange marmalade until evenly distributed throughout the frosting.
- Place 1 layer on your cake stand. Evenly cover the top with buttercream frosting. Top with 2nd layer and top with frosting and spread the frosting around the sides evenly. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
*Store cake covered in fridge for up to 3 days. Cake can be frozen for up to 2 months.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 567 Total Fat: 27g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 19g Cholesterol: 71mg Sodium: 164mg Carbohydrates: 80g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 74g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 4g
This blog post contains affiliate and/or referral links, which pay me a small commission for recommending my favorite products at no extra cost to you! Additionally, as an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.