How to Make Buttercream Frosting
The BEST Vanilla Buttercream Frosting Recipe you’ll ever need!
This creamy buttercream frosting recipe is the perfect amount of sweetness.
It’s my go to frosting that I use on all of my
This frosting is super simple to make, and if you love lots of frosting, double the recipe.
BUTTERCREAM FROSTING INGREDIENTS
● BUTTER: 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter. Make sure the butter is softened to room temperature before making this frosting.
● POWDERED SUGAR: 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
● VANILLA EXTRACT: just 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract.
● HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM: 1 or 2 Tablespoons heavy whipping cream.
● FOOD COLORING: optional to make frosting any color you desire.
HOW TO MAKE BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
To makes Vanilla Buttercream Frosting, simply:
STEP 1: Mix softened butter on medium speed with an electric or stand mixer. Beat for 30 seconds until smooth and creamy.
STEP 2: Add powdered sugar, heavy whipping cream, and vanilla extract. Increase to high-speed and beat for 3 minutes. Add more cream if needed for spreading consistency.
STEP 3: Frost the desserts using a piping bag or knife.
ADDITIONAL FROSTING TIPS
SOFTEN YOUR BUTTER: Before you start making the frosting, make sure your butter is SUPER SOFT. If the butter is not softened the frosting will end up being filled with “chunky” butter pieces…gross!
HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM: I like to use heavy whipping cream because it makes the buttercream frosting thicker. But if you don’t have heavy whipping cream in your fridge, no worries you can use milk instead.
MAKE IT AHEAD OF TIME: If you want to make the frosting ahead of time, no problem. You can place the frosting in the fridge up to 2 days. Once your ready to frost your cookies, let the frosting come to room temperature, mix and decorate.
FROSTING TOOLS NEEDED
MIXER: I love my KitchenAid Mixer, I use it for everything. Makes baking so much easier!
MIXING BOWLS: I love these mixing bowls and they have small sizes perfect for decorating cookies with different frosting colors.
ICING SPATULA: This spatula is what I use to frost cakes, cupcakes and cookies.
MORE FROSTING RECIPES
CONNECT WITH DELICIOUSLY SPRINKLED
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA, SO YOU NEVER MISS A RECIPE
GET EASY-TO-MAKE RECIPES AND MORE…STRAIGHT TO YOUR EMAIL!
RATE THIS RECIPE
IF YOU MADE THIS RECIPE & LOVED IT!
PLEASE GIVE IT A 5 STAR RATING IN THE RECIPE BELOW!
- 1 (2 sticks) cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon heavy whipping cream*
- Mix softened butter on medium speed with an electric or stand mixer. Beat for 30 seconds until smooth and creamy.
- Add powdered sugar, heavy whipping cream, and vanilla extract. Increase to high-speed and beat for 3 minutes. Add more cream if needed for spreading consistency.
- Frost the desserts using a piping bag or knife.
*I highly recommend using heavy whipping cream because it will give the frosting a thicker texture but you may use milk.
SHARE IT ON INSTAGRAM
WE LOVE SEEING WHAT YOU MAKE.
SHARE IT ON INSTAGRAM AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTO!
USE HASHTAG #DELICIOUSLYSPRINKLED
CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER!
FOLLOW US ON PINTEREST!
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which we get paid a small commission for recommending my favorite products at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting Deliciously Sprinkled.