Egg Roll In A Bowl Recipe
This easy to make Egg Roll in a Bowl Recipe is my new favorite weeknight dinner to whip up after a long day! It’s made with just 5 simple, inexpensive ingredients and only takes about 25 minutes from start to finish.
Egg Roll In A Bowl
When I order Chinese takeout, there’s always one thing that I absolutely cannot resist – a side order of egg rolls! There’s nothing better than all the flavors of an egg roll with just a splash of soy sauce. However, takeout can be both greasy and pricey, which is why this egg roll in a bowl is a much better alternative!
This egg roll in a bowl is not just a tastier dinner than a traditional takeout egg roll, but it’s better for you, too. Besides not just being deep fried, this recipe has far less sodium than most egg rolls, and is made with natural ingredients with no preservatives. Plus, you get to mix in some fresh veggies, too!
I love making this savory entree for dinner because it’s super easy to make, hearty and satisfying, and wholly delicious. If you have little ones running around the house like I do, don’t worry – it’s also kid-approved!
FLAVORFUL EGG ROLL IN A BOWL INGREDIENTS
- GROUND BEEF: 2 lbs of ground beef, pork, or turkey sausage.
- GARLIC: 2 tbsp of minced garlic
- COLESLAW MIX: 2 (16 oz) packages of coleslaw mix
- SOY SAUCE: 4 tbsp of soy sauce
- GREEN ONIONS: 2 (bunches) green onion, chopped
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST EGG ROLL IN A BOWL
The steps to making this dinner are short, simple, and to the point. You’re going to love how easy it really is to make this insanely delicious dinner!
STEP 1: Brown the hamburger in a large skillet. Don’t forget to drain it, too!
STEP 2: Once the meat has been browned and drained, add the minced garlic, coleslaw mix and soy sauce. Sauté for about 4 minutes.
STEP 3: Move everything over to one side of the pan and scramble the eggs on the empty side of the pan. You could also make the scrambled eggs in a separate pan, if you’d like to.
STEP 4: Once the eggs are scrambled, mix everything together. Add the green onions, then cook for 1-2 minutes.
STEP 5: Now, for the best part. Serve in bowls, and enjoy!
VARIATIONS TO TRY:
- To keep your sodium levels low, opt for a low-sodium soy sauce, or tamari.
- Ground beef is my favorite meat to use for this recipe, but any kind of ground meat will do the trick. Even a vegetarian friendly alternative would be good!
- Want to make it spicy? Drizzle some Sriracha on top of the bowl before serving. Yum!
- To add a sweet element along with the savory, consider adding a tablespoon of oyster sauce to the mix.
How long will my leftovers stay fresh?
In an airtight bowl in the refrigerator, this egg roll in a bowl dinner should stay fresh for up to 4 days! The best part? It actually reheats pretty well in the microwave! Just be prepared to dash a little more soy sauce in case it dries out a bit.
Can I freeze it?
Here’s the thing – the ground beef will freeze just fine, but the other, fresher ingredients won’t thaw out quite as nicely. To freeze the cooked beef, just keep it in an airtight container in the freezer, where it will stay fresh for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to serve it, toss it back in the skillet over medium high heat and stir frequently. Once it’s warmed up, toss in the other ingredients and cook as normal!
What should I serve these egg roll in a bowls with?
Usually, I just serve them all on their own! However, if you’re not afraid to add some carbs to this low-carb recipe, try serving it over a bed of freshly cooked rice of your choice. Lo mein noodles would also be a tasty base to this savory egg roll inspired recipe!
If you enjoy Chinese-inspired dishes, you definitely have to check out my recipe for Easy Chicken Fried Rice!
Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 2 pounds ground beef, you could also use pork or turkey sausage
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 bags coleslaw mix
- 4 Tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 eggs
- 2 bunches green onions, chopped
- Brown the hamburger in a LARGE skillet, drain.
- Add minced garlic, coleslaw mix and soy sauce. Saute for about 4 minutes.
- Move everything over to one side of the pan and scramble the eggs on the empty side of the pan. You could also make the scrambled eggs in a separate pan.
- Once eggs are scrambled, mix everything together. Add green onions. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Serve in bowls and enjoy!
- If you aren't low carb, you can serve this with cooked white rice.
SAVE THIS RECIPE!
This blog post contains affiliate and/or referral links, which pay me a small commission for recommending my favorite products at no extra cost to you! Additionally, as an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
My hubby and I are going to love this recipe! Looks so tasty and full of flavor! So excited to make this tonight!
I love how flavorful this is! Everyone at my house enjoyed it!