Easy Chicken Enchiladas
Trust me when I say this is the best chicken enchilada recipe ever!!! Your mouth will be watering by the first bite! Made with corn tortillas for true authentic chicken enchiladas and the best sauce you could ask for. It’s the perfect weeknight dinner!
CREAMY CHICKEN ENCHILADAS
If you’re looking for the best chicken enchilada recipe ever, you won’t be disappointed with this one! Not just that, it’s a creamy and authentic chicken enchilada recipe, too. I guarantee you’ll be running back for another plate in record time!
What makes this creamy chicken enchilada recipe so easy is the chicken. I find that the use of rotisserie chicken is way underrated. It makes frequent visits in our chicken recipes as it just makes the process so much easier!!
By using rotisserie chicken, you only have to shred it up for this easy chicken enchiladas recipe. Can I say win?
The sauce in this recipe is easy too! This is the best chicken enchilada recipe ever purely because of the sauce. It’s creamy, full of flavor, and anyone can make it perfectly!
It even includes green chiles to give it that extra kick! I’m telling you, these are mouthwatering chicken enchiladas. So good you won’t be able to help but to run back for more!
EASY CHICKEN ENCHILADAS INGREDIENTS
You will need these ingredients for this easy chicken enchiladas recipe:
- TORTILLAS: To make this recipe truly authentic, I used corn tortillas.
- SHREDDED CHEESE: Monterey jack cheese gives these chicken enchiladas the perfect cheesy taste!
- CHICKEN: For a super easy recipe, I picked up a rotisserie chicken from our local deli and shredded it.
- BUTTER: Unsalted butter makes for the perfect base to our sauce!
- FLOUR: Flour is what helps make our sauce truly creamy in this recipe.
- CHICKEN BROTH: I used chicken broth in the sauce for the perfect amount of flavor.
- SOUR CREAM: Would it even be an enchilada recipe without sour cream?
- DICED GREEN CHILES: Green chiles give our sauce the right amount of kick.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN ENCHILADAS
Scroll down for the full printable easy chicken enchiladas recipe.
- PREHEAT: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- FILL TORTILLAS: Combine shredded chicken and cheese. Fill tortillas with the mixture, roll each one, and place into a greased 9 x 13 glass baking dish.
- PREPARE SAUCE: Melt butter in a pan over medium heat and then stir flour into the butter and whisk for 1 minute. Add the broth and whisk together; cook until it’s thick and bubbles up. Remove from the heat and add sour cream and green chiles.
- BAKE: Pour the mixture over the enchiladas and add the remaining cheese to the top. Bake for 20-23 minutes and broil for another 3 minutes.
- SERVE: Top with sour cream, diced tomatoes, and avocado. Enjoy!
CAN YOU USE FLOUR TORTILLAS FOR CHICKEN ENCHILADAS?
For authentic chicken enchiladas, it’s recommended to use corn tortillas. While using flour tortillas is technically fine, they take away from the authenticity of this delicious recipe!
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO SHRED CHICKEN?
There are two main ways to shred chicken – with a fork and with a mixer. A fork takes much more effort and time, so I like to use a mixer.
You can use a hand mixer in a large mixing bowl, or your favorite stand mixer. I like to use my KitchenAid Mixer with the pouring shield (it stops the chicken from flying out) on a low speed.
CAN YOU FREEZE CHICKEN ENCHILADAS?
Yes! Make sure to cover tightly with foil before placing into the freezer.
HOW LONG ARE CHICKEN ENCHILADAS GOOD FOR?
These chicken enchiladas will last 3-5 days in the refrigerator or 6-8 weeks in the freezer.
WHAT DO I SERVE CHICKEN ENCHILADAS WITH?
These easy chicken enchiladas can be served with a variety of side dishes, some of our favorites being Mexican rice and refried beans! These are also some delicious options:
- Black beans and corn
- Chips and salsa
- Grilled zucchini
- Summer salad
Be sure to check out these other easy dinner recipes!
If you have tried this Easy Chicken Enchiladas recipe, then please rate it in the recipe card and let me know how it turned out in the comments below!
Easy Chicken Enchiladas
- 10 corn tortillas
- 3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 2 ½ cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 oz diced green chiles, medium
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine shredded chicken and 1 cup of cheese
- Fill tortillas with the mixture and roll each one before placing into a greased 9 x 13 glass baking dish
- Melt butter in a pan over medium heat; stir flour into the butter and whisk for 1 minute over heat.
- Add broth and whisk together; cook until thick and bubbling
- Remove from heat and add in sour cream and chiles.
- Pour the mixture over enchiladas and add the remaining 2 cups of cheese over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 20-23 minutes, and then broil for another 3 minutes to completely melt and brown the cheese
- Top with sour cream, diced tomatoes, and avocado. Enjoy!
- Be careful not to add the sour cream when the sauce is too hot or it will cause the sour cream to curdle.
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which pay me a small commission for recommending my favorite products at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting Deliciously Sprinkled.
Delicious recipe! My husband and son loved it- tonight was the 2nd time I made it- but didn’t like that the bottom edge of the tortillas didn’t get crispy at all- it was too soft or soupy. Tonight, I made sure that they were tightly fit together and used a ladle to pour the sauce over top… and I didnt even use all of the sauce either. Any suggestions?
I made this using rotisserie chicken and flour tortillas. I was worried the green chilies would make it too spicy, but it wasn’t. I used a can of mild Oretago chilies. I loved the chopped avocado and Roma tomato on the top-so pretty. I also made a homemade enchilada sauce and served it on the side. It was VERY filling. My husband and son-in-law ate one and a half. I was stuffed eating one. I will make this again! Thank you!
These look so delicious and very tasty! I made these for dinner the other night and my family loved this recipe! Such a great dinner recipe!
My family loves these enchiladas! They are family-friendly & great paired with any Mexican side.
These Chicken Enchiladas were super easy to make and incredibly delicious!! LOVED it!
Love the creamy sauce on those enchiladas. Great comfort food!
These enchiladas look amazing & so easy!! Enchiladas are my favorite go-to when I make Mexican food, which is weekly! I can’t wait to try these!!
What a delicious recipe! I am adding this to my dinner line up for the week! Yum!