These Vanilla Cupcakes are the perfect ending to any type of meal. Light and fluffy, you’ll love every single bite.
Now that I’m an adult, I’ve decided that I can pretty much eat my dessert anytime I want…but for those of you who have better self-control than me, I assure you that these vanilla cupcakes are worth the wait.
I wouldn’t say that I’m a cupcake tasting expert, but I have eaten my way through mounds of them throughout the duration of my life. And honestly, these homemade cupcakes are some of the best that I’ve made.
Having a cupcake that almost melts in your mouth is key. You shouldn’t need a drink of milk right after having a cupcake because all that does is indicate that it’s too dry…I promise you that these cupcakes are not dry.
In fact, they’re so good, you can literally bake them and take them everywhere for all sorts of occasiBirthdaystdays, dinner dates, or just as a thank you to family and friends, these cupcakes are perfect each and every time.
My recommendation? If you want to stand a chance of getting to eat one, make a double batch from the getgo! They are just that good!
VANILLA CUPCAKES INGREDIENTS
● ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR: 1 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour.
● BAKING POWDER: 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder. Make sure your baking powder is not too old (less than 3 months old) or your cupcakes won’t rise properly.
● BAKING SODA: 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda. Again, make sure your baking soda is not too old or your cupcakes won’t rise properly.
● SALT: 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
● EGGS: 2 large eggs.
● SUGAR: 1 cup of granulated sugar.
● BUTTER: 1/2 cup or 1 stick of unsalted butter. Make sure your butter is at room temperature.
● VANILLA EXTRACT: 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract.
● SOUR CREAM: 1/2 cup of sour cream.
BUTTERCREAM FROSTING INGREDIENTS:
● BUTTER: 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter. Make sure the butter is softened to room temperature before making the frosting.
● POWDERED SUGAR: 2 1/2 cups of powdered sugar.
● VANILLA EXTRACT: 1 Tablespoon of vanilla extract.
● HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM: 1 Tablespoon of heavy whipping cream. You can use whole milk, as well.
● SPRINKLES: and it wouldn’t be a cupcake without sprinkles!
HOW TO MAKE VANILLA CUPCAKES
To make these Vanilla Cupcakes, simply:
PRE-STEP: Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line (1) muffin tins with 12 cupcake liners. Set aside.
STEP 1: In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
STEP 2: In a large bowl, using an electric or stand mixer on medium speed, beat eggs and sugar for about 2 minutes, or until light and creamy. Add the butter and vanilla extract and beat on low speed for about 1 minute, or until well blended. Beat in the dry ingredients on low speed until blended. DO NOT OVER MIX! Add the sour cream and beat until smooth.
STEP 3: Fill each cupcake liner about 3/4 the way full with cupcake batter. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool before frosting.
HOW TO MAKE VANILLA BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
STEP 1: Mix softened butter on medium speed with an electric or stand mixer. Beat for 30 seconds until smooth and creamy.
STEP 2: Add powdered sugar, heavy whipping cream, and vanilla extract. Increase to high speed and beat for 3 minutes. Add more cream if needed for spreading consistency.
STEP 3: Frost cupcakes using a piping bag or knife. Top with SPRINKLES and enjoy!
ADDITIONAL BAKING TIPS
DON’T OVERMIX: With almost all my cupcakes recipes, I always make sure to remind you to not OVERMIX the cupcake batter. Meaning, when you mix the flour mixture into the wet ingredients, only mix them together until just combined…you should still see some flour in your mixing bowl. If you over mix the cupcake batter, the cupcakes will SINK in the middle after you baked them.
SCOOPING THE BATTER: I like to use an ice cream scoop to fill the cupcake batter into each cupcake tin. It makes it super easy and you know that each cupcake will be the same size.
VANILLA BUTTERCREAM FROSTING: I recommend using heavy whipping cream because it gives the frosting that thick, creamy, texture everyone loves. If you don’t have heavy whipping cream, you could also use milk.
FAVORITE SPRINKLES: I love Sweetapolita’s Sprinkle Shop! She has a TON of super fun sprinkles, they’re the BEST!!!
BAKING TOOLS NEEDED
MIXER: I love my KitchenAid Mixer, I use it for everything. Makes baking so much easier!
CUPCAKE PAN: This is my favorite cupcake pan. I have them in all three sizes!
CUPCAKE LINERS: These are the best cupcake liners. No greasy bottom and the colors won’t fade.
ICING SPATULA: Makes frosting cupcakes, cakes, and cookies so much easier.
FROSTING BAG AND TIP: This is the frosting bag and tip I used to frost these cupcakes.
MORE CUPCAKE RECIPES
CONNECT WITH DELICIOUSLY SPRINKLED
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA, SO YOU NEVER MISS A RECIPE
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER
💌 GET EASY-TO-MAKE RECIPES AND MORE…STRAIGHT TO YOUR EMAIL!
RATE THIS RECIPE
IF YOU MADE THIS RECIPE & LOVED IT! 😍
PLEASE GIVE IT A 5 STAR RATING ⭐ IN THE RECIPE BELOW!
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened, 1 stick
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup sour cream
VANILLA BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened, 2 sticks
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line (1) muffin tins with 12 cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric or stand mixer on medium speed, beat eggs and sugar for about 2 minutes, or until light and creamy. Add the butter and vanilla extract and beat on low speed for about 1 minute, or until well blended. Beat in the dry ingredients on low speed until blended. DO NOT OVER MIX! Add the sour cream and beat until smooth.
- Fill each cupcake liner about 3/4 the way full with cupcake batter. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool before frosting.
MAKE THE FROSTING:
- Mix softened butter on medium speed with an electric or stand mixer. Beat for 30 seconds until smooth and creamy.
- Add powdered sugar, heavy whipping cream and vanilla extract. Increase to high speed and beat for 3 minutes. Add more cream if needed for spreading consistency.
- Frost cupcakes using a piping bag or knife. Top with SPRINKLES and enjoy!
- Want to make a cake!? No problem here is this same recipe as a vanilla cake.
SHARE IT ON INSTAGRAM
WE LOVE SEEING WHAT YOU MAKE. 🍰
SHARE IT ON INSTAGRAM AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTO!
USE HASHTAG #DELICIOUSLYSPRINKLED
CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER!
FOLLOW US ON PINTEREST!
THE BEST VANILLA CUPCAKES
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which we get paid a small commission for recommending my favorite products at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting Deliciously Sprinkled.
I keep coming back to these because they are simple and so good!!
Thanks a lot for this amazing vanilla cupcakes and very tasty recipe! Highly recommended!
I have been making this recipe for years! It’s my go-to “base” recipe for cupcakes and cakes, and I’ve made so many modifications in both the techniques and ingredient tweaks (different extracts, browning the butter, etc.). Thank you for posting this, I get rave reviews every time I bake it!
I should try this! Looks really fun for birthdays!