Classic Chocolate Cupcakes with Vanilla Frosting
When it comes to classic desserts, one of my favorites is my delicious Classic Chocolate Cupcakes with Vanilla Frosting. Don’t be fooled by how simple these chocolate cupcakes are, because I guarantee that once you make them they will be your go-to chocolate cupcake recipe.
And of course they are topped with SPRINKLES, which makes them automatically the BEST in my book.
These Classic Chocolate Cupcakes are super fudgy, moist chocolate cupcakes that are super easy to make. I topped these cupcakes with the BEST vanilla frosting I have ever made. I used my favorite Vanilla Buttercream Frosting. Seriously, these cupcakes taste like you got them from a bakery but they’re even better!
Spring will be in bloom any day now, and Easter is inching closer on the calendar! Are you entertaining at all for the holiday or bringing a dish? Dress up these cupcakes in their colorful Easter Sunday best. They’re almost too cute to eat. Almost.
JUST A FEW BAKING TIPS:
✔ Don’t be alarmed by how THICK the chocolate cupcake batter is, it’s suppose to be THICK. That’s what makes these chocolate cupcakes the BEST!
✔ I like to use an ice cream scooper to fill the cupcake batter into each cupcake tin. I think it makes it super easy and you know that each cupcake will be the same size.
✔ For the vanilla frosting, I highly recommend using heavy whipping cream or half and half because it gives the frosting it’s creamy texture. If you don’t have heavy whipping cream or half and half you could use milk but just know that the frosting might not be as creamy.
STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE ON HOW TO MAKE THESE CLASSIC CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES WITH VANILLA FROSTING:
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line (1) cupcake pan with 12 cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric or stand mixer on medium speed, beat eggs and sugar for about 2 minutes, or until light and creamy.
- Add the butter and vanilla extract and beat on low speed for about 1 minute, or until well blended.
- Beat in the dry ingredients on low speed until blended. DO NOT OVER MIX!
- Add the sour cream and beat until smooth.
MAKE VANILLA BUTTERCREAM FROSTING:
- Mix softened butter on medium speed with an electric or stand mixer. Beat for 30 seconds until smooth and creamy.
- Add powdered sugar, heavy whipping cream, and vanilla extract. Increase to high speed and beat for 3 minutes. Add more cream if needed for spreading consistency. Frost cooled cupcakes using a piping bag or knife. Top with sprinkles!
- Frosting: heavy cream or half-and-half will give your frosting the creamiest texture. You may use milk instead, but the frosting won't be as creamy.