Vanilla Firecracker Cupcakes
Can you believe it’s already the last week in June, the summer is going by way too fast! And with all the fun celebrations to attend for the 4th of July next week, I have the perfect dessert for you to bring to all your 4th of July parties, Vanilla Firecracker Cupcakes!
And not only are they super cute but these cupcakes are also fun to eat with the Pop Rocks on top it’s like a fireworks party in your mouth with each bite.
These cupcakes are made with my favorite vanilla cupcake recipe and topped with vanilla buttercream frosting. I SPRINKLED Pop Rocks on top to dress these cupcakes up for the 4th of July.
But you could make these cupcakes anytime of year, they would be perfect for a birthday party or even new year’s eve. The Pop Rocks really make these cupcakes the ultimate celebration/party cupcake and are guaranteed to be a BIG hit at any party!
Here is the step-by-step on how to make these Vanilla Firecracker Cupcakes:
**Check out the step-by-step on how to make the best vanilla buttercream frosting for these cupcakes!
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour, make sure to properly measure the flour!
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened, 1 stick
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon heavy whipping cream*
- Pop Rocks, to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line (1) muffin tins with 12 cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric or stand mixer on medium speed, beat eggs and sugar for about 2 minutes, or until light and creamy. Add the butter and vanilla extract and beat on low speed for about 1 minute, or until well blended. Beat in the dry ingredients on low speed until blended. DO NOT OVER MIX! Add the sour cream and beat until smooth.
- Fill each cupcake liner about 3/4 the way full with cupcake batter. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool before frosting.
To make the frosting:
- Mix softened butter on medium speed with an electric or stand mixer. Beat for 30 seconds until smooth and creamy.
- Add powdered sugar, heavy whipping cream and vanilla extract. Increase to high-speed and beat for 3 minutes. Add more cream if needed for spreading consistency.
- Frost cupcakes using a piping bag or knife. Top with Pop Rocks and enjoy!
- I highly recommend using heavy whipping cream because it will give the frosting a thicker texture, but you may use milk.