Peppermint Sugar Cookies
Peppermint and the holiday season go perfectly together. There’s just something about the flavor of peppermint that makes everything taste better.
It’s no wonder that, once December rolls around, all we want to do is make recipes with peppermint in them, like these Peppermint Sugar Cookies!
These Peppermint Sugar Cookies are a great addition to your Christmas cookie plate this year. These cookies are made with real candy canes and if you love peppermint you can even add peppermint extract to the dough itself.
And the best part about this recipe is that it is super easy to make and won’t take a lot of time away from all the other dishes you need to make for your Holiday party.
PEPPERMINT SUGAR COOKIE INGREDIENTS
● ALL-PURPOSE FLOUR: 2 1/2 cups of flour. It’s super important to measure the flour correctly. Too much or too little flour can change the consistency of the cookie.
● BAKING SODA: 3/4 teaspoon baking soda. Make sure your baking soda is no more than 3 months old. If your using old baking soda, the cookies won’t rise properly and will be FLAT.
● BAKING POWDER: just one teaspoon of baking powder. Again, make sure your baking powder is not too old or your cookies will come out FLAT and spread!
● SALTED BUTTER: 1 cup ( 2 sticks) of salted butter. If you don’t have salted butter, I would add about 1/2-1 teaspoon of salt. Also, make sure your butter is at room temperature. If your butter is TOO WARM, it will also result in cookies that will SPREAD. So the best thing to do is let the butter sit out on the counter for at least 1 hour before you start baking and it will be perfect!
● SUGAR: 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar. You will also need about 1/4 cup of granulated sugar, for rolling the dough balls in before baking them.
● EGG YOLKS: you will need 3 egg yolks. It’s very important that you separate the egg yolks, this recipe will NOT turn out if you use 3 whole eggs.
● VANILLA EXTRACT: just one teaspoon.
● CANDY CANES: 1/2 cup ( about 6-7 candy canes) of crushed candy canes.
HOW TO MAKE PEPPERMINT SUGAR COOKIES
To make these Peppermint Sugar Cookies, simply:
PRE-STEP: Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
STEP 1: Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder in a medium-size bowl. Set aside.
STEP 2: In a large bowl, using an electric or stand mixer, cream together the butter, and granulated sugar until combined.
STEP 3: Add egg yolks and vanilla extract.
STEP 4: Add flour mixture and mix until just combined. DO NOT OVERMIX! Place the dough in the fridge for about 1 hour.
STEP 5: Using a cookie scoop or ice cream scoop, scoop dough into balls about 2 Tablespoons each, roll in sugar and place onto prepared baking sheet.
STEP 6: Using a buttered and sugar bottom of a flat-bottomed drinking glass, flatten each ball to about 3/4 inch thick. Sprinkle each flattened cookie dough ball with the crushed candy canes. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edge is slightly brown. Let cookies cool on cookie sheet for 10 minutes before transferring them to wire rack. ENJOY!
ADDITIONAL BAKING TIPS
CRUSHING THE CANDY CANES: To crush the candy canes, I placed about 6 or 7 candy canes into a large ziplock bag. I then used a rolling pin to crush the candy canes into pieces.
DON’T OVERMIX THE DOUGH: With almost all my cookie recipes, I always make sure to remind you to not OVERMIX the cookie dough. Meaning, when you mix the flour mixture into the wet ingredients, only mix them together until just combined…you should still see some flour in your mixing bowl.
HOW TO SCOOP THE PERFECT COOKIE: I always use a 1 Tablespoon cookie scoop, each cookie dough ball has “2 scoops” of cookie dough, meaning that each cookie dough ball is 2 Tablespoons in size. In my opinion, this is the perfect sized cookie. If you don’t have a cookie scoop, you can use an ice cream scooper but you will only need 1 ice cream scoop of cookie dough.
★ And to make it super easier for you to learn how to scoop the perfect cookie, I created a step-by-step guide on How To Scoop The Perfect Cookie!
MAKE A COOKIE PRESS USING THE BOTTOM OF A GLASS: To make the cookie press, butter the bottom of the glass, I take 1 Tablespoon of butter and spread it all over the bottom of the glass. Then dip the bottom in the bowl of sugar.
BAKING TOOLS NEEDED
MIXER: I love my KitchenAid Mixer, I use it for everything. Makes baking so much easier!
BAKING SHEET: You will need a large 16×11 inch baking sheet.
SILICONE BAKING MAT OR PARCHMENT PAPER: If you don’t have a silicone baking mat…YOU NEED ONE!
MORE COOKIE RECIPES
CONNECT WITH DELICIOUSLY SPRINKLED
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA, SO YOU NEVER MISS A RECIPE
FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER
GET EASY-TO-MAKE RECIPES AND MORE…STRAIGHT TO YOUR EMAIL!
RATE THIS RECIPE
IF YOU MADE THIS RECIPE & LOVED IT!
PLEASE GIVE IT A 5 STAR RATING IN THE RECIPE BELOW!
Peppermint Sugar Cookies
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup SALTED butter, softened, 2 sticks
- 1 ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup granulated sugar, for rolling
- ½ cup crushed candy canes, about 6-7 candy canes
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder in a medium-size bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric or stand mixer, cream together the butter, and granulated sugar until combined.
- Add egg yolks and vanilla extract.
- Add flour mixture and mix until just combined. DO NOT OVERMIX! Place the dough in the fridge for about 1 hour.
- Using a cookie scoop or ice cream scoop, scoop dough into balls about 2 Tablespoons each, roll in sugar and place onto prepared baking sheet.
- Using a buttered and sugar bottom of a flat-bottomed drinking glass, flatten each ball to about 3/4 inch thick. Sprinkle each flattened cookie dough ball with the crushed candy canes. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edge is slightly brown. Let cookies cool on cookie sheet for 10 minutes before transferring them to wire rack. ENJOY!
- STORE: Cookies will stay fresh for up to 7 days in an airtight container, stored at room temperature.
- FREEZING: Roll the dough into balls and place them in an airtight container. You can freeze the cookie dough for up to 2 months. To bake, place frozen cookie dough balls onto prepared baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
SHARE IT ON INSTAGRAM
WE LOVE SEEING WHAT YOU MAKE.
SHARE IT ON INSTAGRAM AND TAG US IN YOUR PHOTO!
USE HASHTAG #DELICIOUSLYSPRINKLED
CLICK THE LINK BELOW TO PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER!
FOLLOW US ON PINTEREST!
PEPPERMINT SUGAR COOKIES
Some of the links above are affiliate links, which we get paid a small commission for recommending my favorite products at no extra cost to you! Thank you for supporting Deliciously Sprinkled.
I’m loving these fun festive little cookies! 🙂 Christmas perfection!
So cute. 😀
These cookies are perfect for the upcoming holidays! Love the way you photographed them!
14 T of butter? How many sticks is that? becuz I am not good with the math. In order for my little brain to function I need it as simple as possible lolz 🙂
It’s a little less then 2 sticks of butter! 🙂
You can’t go wrong with a good sugar cookie. I love the festive touch of the crushed peppermint on these!
I love peppermint and these Peppermint Sugar Cookies sure look special.