Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
Can you believe St. Patrick’s Day is here already?! What better treat than these mint chocolate chip cupcakes? They’re easy to make, absolutely delicious, and lick-the-bowl-clean worthy. YUM!
MINT CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES
If you’re looking for an easy chocolate cupcake recipe, I’d say you found the perfect one. Bonus points that it tastes like mint too! It’s creamy, moist, and the mini chocolate chips give the frosting the PERFECT texture. These are the kind of mint chocolate cupcakes you’ll want to keep to yourself.
But with St. Patrick’s Day almost here… you might have to share at least a few! They truly are the perfect St. Patrick’s Day cupcake recipe. My whole family absolutely loves these and I know yours will too!
CUPCAKES WITH CHOCOLATE CHIPS
Delicious cupcakes with chocolate chips are PERFECT – even more so when they’re as easy as this one! Using our favorite Pillsbury™ Purely Simple™ Cake Mixes, you’ll have these mixed up and ready to go in a matter of minutes! Very few additional ingredients are needed.
So if you’re on the hunt for the BEST mint chocolate cupcakes that are also easy to whip up a large batch of… these are the ones. I guarantee you’ll be coming back to this recipe again and again (and not just to lick the bowl!).
Now, let’s get to the recipe, shall we? I can see your mouth watering from here, ha!
MINT CHOCOLATE CHIP CUPCAKE INGREDIENTS
For this easy chocolate cupcake recipe, you’ll need these ingredients:
- CHOCOLATE CAKE MIX: We used our favorite Pillsbury Purely Simple Chocolate Cake Mix for this recipe!
- MILK: It is a cupcake recipe, so you need milk, right? I’ve found whole milk to be the best.
- EGGS: Just a few large eggs are perfect for this recipe.
- FROSTING MIX: I used Pillsbury Purely Simple Buttercream Frosting Mix for this recipe.
- WATER: Just a bit of water to bring the frosting together.
- MINT EXTRACT: The perfect addition for the minty chocolate flavor in this recipe!
- MINI CHOCOLATE CHIPS: Mini chocolate chips make the PERFECT addition to this delicious frosting.
HOW TO MAKE MINT CHOCOLATE CHIP CUPCAKES
Scroll down below for the printable step-by-step recipe!
- PREHEAT: Preheat the oven to 350F and line two cupcake pans with 24 cupcake liners; set aside.
- MIX BATTER: In a large bowl, mix the cake mix and butter together until well blended using an electric or stand mixer. Add the milk and eggs; mix to combine for two minutes.
- FILL LINERS AND BAKE: Fill each cupcake liner half-way full with batter. Bake for 19-23 minutes, until a toothpick inserted from the center, comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool before frosting them.
- MIX FROSTING: While the cupcakes bake, beat the frosting mix and butter for 1 minute or until well blended in a large bowl using an electric or stand mixer. Add water and mint extract; mix until light and fluffy. Fold in the mini chocolate chips into the frosting.
- FROST CUPCAKES: Once the cupcakes have cooled, frost them and top with additional chocolate chips.
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO SOFTEN BUTTER?
If you’re like me who always seems to forget to set the butter out on the counter to let it soften… just place stick of butter unwrapped in the microwave for 10-15 seconds (be sure to turn the wrapper in 5-second increments!).
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO SCOOP BATTER?
I find the best way to not only frost these cupcakes but to also fill the cupcake batter into each cupcake tin is to use an ice cream scoop! It makes it super easy and you know that each cupcake will be the same size.
CAN I USE A DIFFERENT CAKE AND FROSTING MIX?
You sure can! We choose these Pillsbury™ Purely Simple™ Cake Mixes over others because they have no colors, preservatives or artificial flavors. This is the BEST mixes we have found to date.
But if you’d like to use a different mix, that is perfectly fine too. Keep in mind that you may have to tweak the recipe just slightly according to package directions.
CAN I FREEZE THE CUPCAKES FOR LATER?
Yes! Simply wrap the unfrosted cupcakes in plastic wrap and slip into a freezer bag. While you can frost them prior to freezing, I have found the best results leaving them unfrosted when freezing.
HOW LONG WILL THESE CUPCAKES STAY GOOD FOR?
These will stay good for a few days on the counter, 1 week in the fridge or 3 months in the freezer. For best results, store in an airtight container or wrap in plastic wrap.
ENJOY THESE OTHER DELICIOUS RECIPES:
- Mint Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars
- Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Mint Chocolate Chip Brownies
- Classic Chocolate Cupcakes with Vanilla Frosting
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Milk Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
If you have tried this Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcake recipe, then please rate it in the recipe card and let me know how it turned out in the comments below!
- 1 box Pillsbury Purely Simple Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1 cup milk
- 3 large eggs
MINT CHOCOLATE CHIP FROSTING:
- 1 package Pillsbury Purely Simple Buttercream Frosting Mix
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon mint extract
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips, additional for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line two cupcake pans with 24 cupcake liners; set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix the cake mix and butter together until well blended using an electric or stand mixer.
- Add the milk and eggs; mix to combine for two minutes.
- Fill each cupcake liner half-way full with batter.
- Bake for 19-23 minutes, until a toothpick inserted from the center comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool before frosting them.
- While the cupcakes bake, beat the frosting mix and butter for 1 minute or until well blended in a large bowl using an electric or stand mixer.
- Add water and mint extract; mix until light and fluffy. Fold in the mini chocolate chips into the frosting.
- Once the cupcakes have cooled, frost them and top with additional chocolate chips.
This blog post contains affiliate and/or referral links, which pay me a small commission for recommending my favorite products at no extra cost to you! Additionally, as an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.