Mini Marshmallow Hot Chocolate Cookies
These Mini Marshmallow Hot Chocolate Cookies are the perfect cookie for this week because it’s been -45 below zero the last couple of days here in Wisconsin. As I was drinking about 10 cups of hot chocolate each day to try to stay warm, I thought what if I made a hot chocolate cookies.
I tried to come up with a hot chocolate cookie that I could make with only the ingredients I already had in our kitchen because I was not going to be running to the grocery store in this extreme cold. Brrrr…..
These little cookies are packed with chocolate and cocoa. They are baked so soft and chewy and topped with marshmallow buttercream frosting, mini marshmallows and drizzled with chocolate. And let me tell you, they are fantastic. They really do make for a perfect cookie along side a nice warm cup of hot chocolate.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dark or light brown sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup + 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons milk
Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup marshmallow creme
- 3 cups powder "confectioners" sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 1/2 cup chocolate candy melts
- Using a handheld or stand mixer, cream the butter for about 20 seconds. Add the sugars with the mixer running. Cream it all together until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
- In a separate medium size bowl, mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt together. Slowly add to the wet ingredients with the mixer running. The dough will be VERY thick. Add in the milk. Chill for at least 2 hours, covered. Chilling is MANDATORY.
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- Take 2 Tablespoons of chilled dough and roll into a ball. *wet your hands to make it easier to roll the dough into balls. Bake for 12 minutes.
- Using a handheld or stand mixer, cream the butter and marshmallow creme until light and fluffy. Add the powder sugar, one cup at a time, beating until combined. Add heavy whipping cream, pinch of salt and vanilla. If frosting is too thick, add a little more heavy cream.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the cookie sheet for at least 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the cookies are cooled, melt chocolate chips in the microwave for about 1 minute or until chocolate melts are smooth. Pipe on frosting, smooth over with a knife, top with 5 mini marshmallows and drizzle chocolate on top of cookie.