Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
These chocolate peppermint cookies are the PERFECT recipe for Christmas cookies. They’re sweet, soft, moist, and full of delicious chocolate peppermint flavor!
CHOCOLATE COOKIES RECIPE
Chocolate cookies are hands down some of my favorite cookies (hence why you’ll find lots of recipes here on the blog!). If you’re looking for a good chocolate cookies recipe, I highly encourage you to try this one.
Not only is their chocolate chips in the chocolate cookie making it even more amazing, but it’s also dipped in melted chocolate and topped with peppermint. Isn’t your mouth watering just thinking of taking a bite of such heavenly flavors?!
This is one of the best chocolate cookies recipes I’ve ever made and they are PERFECT for the holidays!
RECIPE FOR CHRISTMAS COOKIES
Speaking of which… this is a MUST recipe for Christmas cookies this year. If you’re still gathering up your list of cookies to bake, you definitely have to include these. They are real crowd-pleasers at holiday parties and make even better gifts.
I can almost guarantee you’ll have plenty of family and friends begging for the recipe after they can’t keep their hands off them! They are so good!
Let’s get to the full recipe for these chocolate cookies, shall we?
CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT COOKIES INGREDIENTS
For this delicious chocolate cookies recipe, you’ll need these ingredients:
- FLOUR: You always need plenty of flour for cookies!
- BAKING SODA: This is what makes these cookies nice and moist.
- SALT: Salt balances out your cookies while they bake.
- COCOA POWDER: Perfect for making delicious chocolate cookies!
- BUTTER: Make sure to bring your butter to room temperature.
- GRANULATED SUGAR: Of course you need lots of sugar for your cookies.
- BROWN SUGAR: Adds the perfect flavors to this amazing recipe.
- VANILLA EXTRACT: Doesn’t every cookie need just a dash of vanilla?
- EGGS: Eggs hold cookies together quite nicely.
- CHOCOLATE CHIPS: You’ll need lots of chocolate chips to mix in and add after baking!
- WHITE CHOCOLATE BAKING BAR: This is what you’ll use for the dipping effect.
- CANDY CANES: Crush them up nice and fine to sprinkle on the melted chocolate!
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT COOKIES
Be sure to scroll down for the step-by-step printable recipe!
- PREPARE: Preheat oven to 370F degrees and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats; set aside.
- MIX DRY INGREDIENTS: Whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder in a medium-sized bowl; set aside.
- MIX WET INGREDIENTS: In a large bowl, using an electric or stand mixer, cream together the butter, sugars, and vanilla extract until combined. Add eggs one at a time, mixing between each egg.
- COMBINE: Add flour mixture and mix until just combined and be careful not to overmix!
- ADD CHOCOLATE CHIPS: Using a spatula, stir in chocolate chips until combined.
- BAKE COOKIES: Using a cookie scoop, scoop dough into balls about 2 tablespoons each and place onto a prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes or cookies starts to crack on top. Immediately after taking cookies out of the oven, place additional chocolate chips on top of cookies, and let cool for 5 minutes on a baking sheet before moving them to a wire rack.
- SERVE AND ENJOY: Place white chocolate baking bar in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 15 seconds, stirring until completely melted. Dip each cookie halfway into the white chocolate and place it onto the baking sheet. Sprinkle with crushed peppermint. Serve and enjoy!
DOES MY BUTTER NEED TO BE ROOM TEMPERATURE?
Absolutely yes! I’m not sure if you’ve ever tried to cream cold butter, but it’s not a very fun process. For best results, take your butter out an hour before baking.
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO SCOOP COOKIE DOUGH?
My preferred method is to use a 1 tablespoon cookie scoop and to use 2 scoops per cookie. In my opinion, this is the perfect sized cookie. If you don’t have a cookie scoop, you can use an ice cream scooper but you will only need 1 ice cream scoop of cookie dough.
Be sure to check out my step-by-step guide on How To Scoop The Perfect Cookie to make it easier for you to learn how to scoop the perfect cookie!
HOW DO I KNOW IF I OVERMIXED THE DOUGH?
When you mix the flour mixture into the wet ingredients, you should still see some flour in your mixing bowl. You should only mix them together until just combined and be careful to not overmix the dough.
WHAT CAN I USE FOR THE CRUSHED PEPPERMINT?
The recipe calls for regular candy canes to smash up into little pieces. However, you can also use Wilton sprinkle peppermint crunch to top these cookies as I did.
HOW LONG DO THESE CHOCOLATE PEPPERMINT COOKIES LAST?
These cookies will stay fresh for up to 7 days in an airtight container, stored at room temperature. If you’re making a lot of them for the holidays, I suggest freezing as they will last up to 2 months in the freezer.
HOW DO YOU FREEZE THESE COOKIES?
Roll the dough into balls and place them in an airtight container. To bake, place frozen cookie dough balls onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 16-18 minutes.
Check out these other Christmas cookie recipes:
- Snickerdoodle Cookies
- Peppermint Sugar Cookies
- Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Peanut Butter Blossoms
- Soft Sugar Cookies
If you have tried this Chocolate Peppermint Cookies recipe, then please rate it in the recipe card and let me know how it turned out in the comments below!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
- additional chocolate chips, for topping
- 8-ounce white chocolate baking bar
- candy canes, crushed
- Preheat oven to 370F degrees and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats; set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder in a medium-sized bowl; set aside.
- In a large bowl, using an electric or stand mixer, cream together the butter, sugars, and vanilla extract until combined.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing between each egg.
- Add flour mixture and mix until just combined and be careful not to overmix!
- Using a spatula, stir in chocolate chips until combined.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop dough into balls about 2 tablespoons each and place onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes or cookies start to crack on top.
- Immediately after taking cookies out of the oven, place additional chocolate chips on top of cookies, and let cool for 5 minutes on baking sheet before moving them to a wire rack.
- Place white chocolate baking bar in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 15 seconds, stirring until completely melted.
- Dip each cookie halfway into the white chocolate and place onto baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with crushed peppermint. Serve and enjoy!
* STORE: Cookies will stay fresh for up to 7 days in an airtight container, stored at room temperature.
* FREEZING: Roll the dough into balls and place them in an airtight container. You can freeze the cookie dough for up to 2 months. To bake, place frozen cookie dough balls onto prepared baking sheet and bake for 16-18 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 261 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 35mg Sodium: 100mg Carbohydrates: 33g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 22g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 4g
This blog post contains affiliate and/or referral links, which pay me a small commission for recommending my favorite products at no extra cost to you! Additionally, as an Amazon affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.